Garage Door Installation Services
We sell and install the leading manufacturers of garage doors recognized for quality and durability.
Buying a New Garage Door
Your garage door plays an important role in the first impression of your home, as it is usually the most noticeable feature upon first sight. Your garage door is also the largest moving appliance in the home, so it is important to choose an excellent quality door for durability, longevity, and safety for your family.
Choosing and purchasing a new garage door can be both easy and enjoyable! We have created this page as a beginners guide to help educate our customers on the many different options to consider while choosing the garage door that best meets their needs for style, functionality, and budget. Some options to consider will be insulation type, window style or no windows, color, and panel design. We have a wide variety of options and combinations for our customers to choose from, whether you are looking to have a basic raised panel garage door, a mock wood designer door, or a more contemporary style. The manufacturers that we carry have some of the most beautiful mock wood finishes on the market today, and all of the doors they build are extremely durable for optimal performance. Our garage doors will come with not only premium quality solid steel for the door itself, but all of the hardware will be commercial grade and top of the line for maximum durability over the years.
Step 1 – Determine the size of your garage door
Garage doors are available in a variety of sizes, and one of the first things you will normally be asked when shopping for a new door is whether or not you need a single or a double garage door and what size of door you need. Do you have one large door for a two car garage? Do you have a combination of multiple doors each fitting one car? Or do you have a combination of a large door and one or more smaller doors?
The standard size for a double wide garage door that fits two cars is 16 feet wide by 7 feet tall. The standard size for a single car garage door is 8 feet wide by 7 feet tall. However, it is very important to take a tape measure to the opening of the door to get exact sizing, because many times the size may be taller, wider, or shorter than the standard sizing. It is not uncommon to have sizes such as 16×8, 8×8, 9×8, 9×7, 10×7, 16×6’9, 8×6’9, etc. We are very happy to give pricing over the phone or over email, but are very happy to come out for an onsite bid as well if you feel you may need the doors looked at to determine proper pricing.
Step 2 – Determine if the door needs to be insulated or not
- Non-Insulated: this construction type will be one layer of steel with a hollow interior
- 2 Layer Insulated: this construction type will be a layer of steel on the front with an insulated interior, and vinyl covering the back of the insulation. This construction type is a less common choice for our customers because, in comparison the following option, it has a less durable backing and is more prone to cosmetic damage over time.
- 3 Layer Insulated Steel Back: this construction type will have a layer of steel on the front, a layer of insulation on the interior, and then another layer of steel on the back of the door for maximum insulation and durability.
Most of our doors can be ordered with different levels of insulation to help keep your garage and home warm in the winter months and cool in the summer months. If you have an attached garage, that can translate into hundreds of dollars in energy savings. When choosing to have your door insulated or non-insulated, there are two important things to consider: insulation will affect the temperature of the garage, and it will also affect sturdiness and durability of the door.
Three most common garage door construction types:
We have a wide variety of styles that are offered in many of the construction types to fit your needs.
It is important to note that, if the reason for insulation is because of desire to have the garage temperature controlled, it will have a greater impact if the garage already has insulated walls, which acts in combination with the garage door in maintaining a desired climate.
Step 3 – Choose your style
The next step in purchasing a new garage door is to determine the best style of door for your home. You will want to choose a style that blends with your home’s architecture.
Material of Door
Starting with the material, choose a material that will work best in your climate. Relatively inexpensive, yet very durable, steel garage doors are considered the standard on most new homes and come in a variety of styles from plain to elegant. We do, however, offer doors in other materials such as fiberglass and wood overlay.
If you are looking for a wood look door, we tend to recommend the steel, wood look garage doors over the wood overlay doors because the real wood will be more costly and will require maintenance (staining and resealing) overtime. The manufacturers that we use, in our personal opinion, have one of the most beautiful finishes on the market today for the steel, mock wood doors.
Style of Door
- Traditional Raised Panel – Steel raised-panel garage doors are the most common garage doors in America. Sturdy and reliable, they have a timeless design with raised square panels (short panel) or raised rectangle panels (long or ranch panel) and a deep wood grain overlay. They come in a variety of sizes, colors, and window options.
- Stamped Carriage House – The carriage house style is a more elegant style that is steel imprinted to resemble the old carriage house doors that would swing or slide open to let the owner’s carriage in or out. This style combines the elegant carriage house look with durable steel construction and overhead technology and usually has a deeper wood grain overlay than the traditional styled door. It has the mechanics of a standard garage door, but it looks like it will open outward with faux hinges and hardware. Customize your design by choosing from a large selection of color, window style, and decorative hardware options.
- Designer Styles – We have a wide variety of additional styles such as designer carriage house, recessed panel, steel/fiberglass/ wood overlay, and more! We are confident that whatever style of door you are looking to purchase for your home, we will be able to help you find the perfect door to meet your needs! Please feel free to check out the following link to start browsing options for doors with an array of window, color, and style options that fit your home!
Color of Door
Our steel garage doors will come in a variety of basic colors such as, but not limited to, white, almond, sandtone, desert tan, chocolate brown, and black. Certain models will have a wider variety of additional colors, and many of the models will have several options for the beautiful wood tone finishes.
Windows or Solid?
Windows are a nice addition to the door’s design and can add another layer of beauty to the door. They let sunlight into the garage, and they allow capability to see out of the garage.
It is, however, important to keep in mind, if temperature control is an important factor that the light coming into the garage may bring additional heat into the garage, and, unless they are insulated, may allow heat to escape in the colder months. Additionally, as you are able to look out, someone on the outside will be able to look in, unless you go with a design that limits this, such as obscured glass.
Our doors come with either plain glass squares or can have a design with various decorative inserts that fit your style.
Please feel free to check out the following link to start browsing options for doors with an array of window, color, and style options that fit your home!
Step 4 – Determine if you need an automatic garage door opener
The last consideration when you are purchasing a new garage door is to determine whether or not you will need a new automatic garage door opener. If you have an opener that functions properly and has the strength and durability to operate your new garage door, we are more than happy to reconnect it to your new door. If you are looking to upgrade your automatic garage door opener to a new one, please feel free to check out our options for garage door openers!
Below are some important security features to consider when deciding whether your current garage door opener continues to fit your needs:
- Advanced Encrypted Wireless Technology – With all of the benefits that come with technological advances in modern living, there are an equal amount of security concerns. Older garage door openers have been wrought with issues involving hackers and code grabbers who find ways to intercept your remote’s opening codes and let themselves into your home. This makes investing in newer models – with more secure technology – all the more essential
- Trolley Release System – Perhaps one of the most common methods used to break into home garages involves the exploitation of the emergency release cord. This cord, when pulled, allows your garage door to be operated manually meaning that if it’s accessible from the outside, it can be a fairly serious security risk. Thieves have been known to use a simple wire hanger inserted through a crack in the door to pull this cord to open the garage door manually. Here’s where complicated advancements aren’t always necessary! Newer, quality garage door openers come with a design tweak requiring the cord to be pulled backwards rather than down. It’s just as easy to operate in an emergency situation, but much more logical for security purposes.
- Remote Lockout – Smart-home enabled garage door openers, like in the Chamberlain and LiftMaster myQ series, are able to be controlled from your phone. This gives you, the homeowner, the ability to lock your garage door from anywhere in the world. You can also open and close your garage door from your phone, set automatic door locks, and even enable the battery backup when the power is out.
More Garage Door Services
Garage Door Repair
If your garage door is constantly jamming or malfunctioning, you need a garage door repair specialist you can trust. At O’Brien Garage Doors, our #1 priority is that your door operates safely and properly for you and your family.
Garage Door Opener Installation & Repair
We sell, install and repair all brands and models of garage door openers including: Chamberlain, Genie, and LiftMaster. Garage door openers provide convenience, security, and added value to your home.
Get in touch with a Garage Door Repair Specialist in your area when you contact O’Brien Garage Doors. You can either Contact Us, Schedule an Appointment, or Request a Quote on a new garage door!